Life’s Joys

This is in dedication for Jack(Lucky). A man whose life has been full of ecstasy and joy while life seemed to have passed him by. The laughs he shared as a youth fill the gaps in others to a point where the miseries of life are unseen at all. From whiskey to “ladies”- a life of pure joy with a dear friend is the basis behind your life. Life often does seem too short, but you, Jack, have left smiles on all those who you have met.

Life flashed by with not a sound of any warning,

The lights of a car went dim and glass flew.

Rusty will be sitting there in the morning,

Watching the gentle dew.

Sitting alone but still filled with joy,

Not letting any sadness come through.

Forget life’s miseries and enjoy,

As we stroll down this old avenue.

I say that life is short but sweet,

Laughing and drinking – all you can eat!

Rusty with me as I sing this song, 

And I swear that I didn’t do you wrong.

So rest with me and I’ll live in peace,

Looking out on the open seas.

I will be there for you and you for me;

I want to click rewind and bring back our lost memories.

Parting Message:

I realized during my time spent with you that although you are optimistic, you still are filled with grief from the loss of your close friend Rusty. This inspired me to write a quick poem for you alongside my short story below. It encompasses the part of your life that you shared with me, and I wished to give it back to you through your own perspective. The seas are representative of your imagination and the beauty that exists within you.

The bottle of whiskey lay in my hand, and my senses so happily distorted. My friends give me an odd look as they gulp down their remaining drops.

“This bottle has made you so crazy!

“Speak for yourself! Hey…Look at those chicks walking by.”

“WOOHOO! Hey babies!”

They begin to look at us with much anger and one of them threw a shoe at the car. It nearly dented it, and they pulled out a phone trying to call the cops. We don’t really know why she would do such a thing because we did not commit any crime. A cop strolls on down looking at us with disgust.

“Have any shame you lousy ol’ skanks! This is all that this town needs, two hooligans!”

Good ol’ Rusty shouts back, “All you officers do is keep your fingers planted firmly up your butts! Aren’t you a public servant?”

“Well yes…yes I am.”

“Then go get me a bottle of water!”

Chuckles echoed off the sides of the car. Realizing that the officer was about to pull out his revolver, I quickly jumped into the front seat and pulled away shouting, “Shoot this!”

Now Rusty and I cruised down the highway singing “Peter Rabbit ain’t got no tail!” The day went by so quickly and the sun refused to set. However, the moon would soon rise and engage in a balancing act with the sun. 

I looked at Rusty, and he gave off a little smile that embodied how this day and the next would turn out. We both sat there driving towards the sun on an open highway. The greenery could be seen for miles, and the beautiful smell of ashes after a long day’s work filled my stout nose.

Rusty begins to say, “Jack, you know, I need some more whiskey.”

“Sure Rusty. Me and you will keep drinking whisky for as long as we both live. Whisky for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.”

The car, suddenly, left my control. Something had happened, yet I couldn’t understand what it was. The car veered to the right and back to the left when another car, coming from the opposite direction, smashed into us head-on.

The glass shattered and flew amidst this chaos. Time ceased to stop, and I felt the whiplash damage the tissues in my neck. Rusty had pieces of glass piercing through him, and I looked at him with both horror and surprise. As we came to a stop the drone of an ambulance echoed through my mind. Everything around me became distorted, but I could see Rusty being carried on the stretcher whereas I was left behind – forgotten.

I was told that Rusty … It was only an accident.

For the first time, tears welled up in my eyes as those memories we shared drifted in my thoughts. I felt it to be quite unmanly yet could not resist the urge to express what I felt. His body lay there, and I placed my hand in his promising to never let go of this enthusiasm and joy we held. He will see me on the rooftops laughing with a bottle of whiskey grasped tightly in my hands.

His lips parted, and I could see a smile – he seemed to have remembered those same memories as I did. 

Now, I sit on my couch reliving those times when I was young, wild, and free. I want to go some place far away- away from these barred cages. Age passes by and so does the joy, but I won’t let that leave me in broken pieces.

Rusty and I will be here together again, soon.

Image result for amazing rain gif

Parting Message:

I have never, in the entirety of my life, seen such an enthusiastic person like you. Often, others get caught up in the pains and sorrows of life, but you have overcome these obstacles. Time can fade happiness away, but I still see it in you. This optimism you show has a few cracks, allowing me to see the purity of what hides within. You have an endless capacity of happiness which will forever reside with you.

Sincerely,

Abhay P.

Featured Image

Candle in the rain